How to apply
Apply for the Digital Entrepreneur Fellowship
Please read the instructions and documents available on this page before you send us your application.
What are the prerequisites to apply?
- You have a clear startup idea in the area of digitalization, digital transformation.
- You have a strong motivation to develop a product or novel service based on UZH research and to transfer it to the market.
- You hold a Master or doctoral degree. Master and doctoral students who plan to complete their thesis within six months after the application deadline can also apply.
- You submit the project as a single applicant.
- An UZH researcher commits to support you as a mentor during the fellowship.
- Readiness to fully dedicate your time to the funded project and for being employed at UZH for the duration of the fellowship.
How can the funding be used?
The fellowship funds can be used to pay salaries, materials and other project-related expenses. The adequate salary level depends on the education level of the applicant and on other costs expected in the project. Entrepreneur fellows are to be employed as Scientific Assistants (Wissenschaftliche Mitarbeitende). Funding obtained or requested from other sources that is related to the project must be declared.
When is the application deadline?
How are the projects selected?
The projects are evaluated in a three stage selection process: expert-voting based on the video pitches, pre-selection and final selection by the jury.
The Digital Fellowships are awarded based on the following criteria:
- The project clearly fits the domain of digital innovation
- Project is based on knowhow developed at the UZH
- High innovation potential (e.g. unique technology or approach, unique business model, existing or envisaged intellectual property protection)
- Compelling market opportunity and business case
- Feasibility (convincing project plan, resources, competences, team)
- Personal potential of the applicant (motivation, entrepreneurial spirit)
Is a reapplication possible?
Rejected applications may be resubmitted. However, a project and/or applicant may not re-apply for the UZH Entrepreneur Fellowships more than twice. Furthermore, the jury expects to see a substantial progress of the project and/or business case in the reapplication.
Step I: Find your mentor
Step II: Decide on your host institution for the Fellowship
Stage III: Prepare to pitch your project
Stage IV: Record a 3 min video presentation
Stage V: Create a profile on the submission platform
Stage VI: Submit your application
Submit your application
Please register your profile on our online platform to submit your application:
Go to submission platform